Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Live Play - 1/13 & 11/55

Friday was a special installment of our home game. We had a special guest from out of town so we scheduled an extra game so that the famous j0hngalt (Lance) could play. He was in town from Iowa for work so what better reason to have a poker game? Lance played well and finished third and I finished 1st for $60 from a $10 buy-in. This game isn't really for the money, it's for the friendly competition. Always a good time but the night can get late. We started at 7:30 and we finished up at around 2:30 AM. Quite a long game for only 13 people!! I didn't donk off any chips or do anything stupid which helped. The main hand that got me the win was when I made my standard raise with American Airlines. Lance looked down and went all-in with his big stack. There were still a couple of people left so I tried to look distressed hoping maybe someone else woke up with some semblance of a hand. Nope, got folded to me and I insta-called, neither of us improved and I doulbed up nicely to about 42k and took the chip lead. Mike busted out Joel (again) with a "brilliant" call with QJ sooted and barely took over the chip lead from me. That set the stage for what would become our heads up match which Mike entered slightly ahead of me. We battled it out for a while and at that time in the morning I'm getting pretty tired. I raised what had been our standard raise heads up and Mike went all-in on me thinking of trying to resteal. Unfortunatly for him I had a real hand, AQ and called. Mike turns over 35d and it's all over. We played heads up for probaly 45 minutes, a fun time. This home game does nothing but improve your game with the level of the players at it. Hopefully this win will turn into a trend!

That evening we decided to drive up to Hinkley's Grand Casino and play in their Saturday tournament. The buy-in was 150+20. Five of us drove up for the tournament. 10k starting chips, blinds 20 minutes long starting out at 50/100 with a gradual increase, at first. Nothing major really happened for me with hands. I had AK once early that got me the blinds when I standard raised, AQ twice, pp9 twice, pp5 once and KQ once. Outside of that I didn't even have any connectors I could play. I did get TJo in late position once and played it. I spiked a J on the river but the board was paired and there was a straight possibility on the board where someone just needed a 9 to complete it. The BB went all-in on the river and it got folded around to me. The BB had been overbetting a lot of stuff like this and I was unsure what his bet meant. I had him covered and it would have brought me down to 5k if I called and was beat, still a little to work with but it was early enough that I decided to pick a better spot than this and mucked. I steadily built my stack up to around 23k when the blind structure went like this, 400/800, 500/1000, 1000/2000, 200/4000! We go from a nice structure to two doubles in a row. That basically put me in dire straights being card dead. I stole a couple of blinds here and there trying to stay alive and hopefully find a spot where I could double. That event never occurred though. I eventually went all-in UTG with J5 soooted when I only had about 2.5x BB left, I didn't want to be blinded out and this was the best hand I had seen in a long time. It gets folded around to the BB who contemplates folding! But he finally decides to call and turns over K3 or something. I hit a jack and doulbe up. A round or two later I'm in the same situation again not having picked up a hand. I should have moved all-in UTG again without looking but I looked had trash, mucked and hoped my BB was going to be decent since I was going to put the rest in no matter what. A late position raised my BB almost the rest of my stack, and I reraised for my last 1k and he of course called. My 78 wen up against his KJ, neither of us improved and I was done. I'm happy with how I played in this tournament but there's not much you can do without cards and not getting paid off a lot when you do have something. I know it's not about the cards but it helps. I tried to put myself in a position that when I got some resemblance of a hand that I might get paid off but that never materialized. Oh well, still a fun time with friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home