Mead is Compleat

If you forgot, I made my first batch of mead a little over a year ago. I've been "bulk aging" it for a while now. Bulk Aging = too lazy to bottle. Well, I finally bottled it over the long weekend. It's been a year since I first started this batch. As you can see, it came out looking real good. I don't know if I'm totally enamored with the flavor though. I think it's a little too sweet. I did brew a sweet mead so I did expect some sweetness from it. It's also still a little "hot" but it's not overpowering and that should mellow with a little more aging. Overall I am happy with it. Now I have 24 bottles of a very sweet mead and my wife doesn't drink much. Oh well, looks like I have some gifts to give away as well as a fair amount of drinking to do! These should be really good at a late season tailgate. I'll probably warm it up a little and maybe steep some spices like nutmeg and cinamon in it. That should warm us sufficiently before we go into the Vikings games! I'm going to start brewing to other mead variants within the next couple of months. The first is an ABC Mead, Apple Butter Cyser. The recipe is much more complex than a regular mead and you use apple cider instead of water to mix with the honey. By all accounts this is a real tasty mead but can take some time to age properly. The other one I'm going to make is a heavy braggot. This recipe is much simpler than the ABC but should be an outstanding taste. I'll keep ya posted as I progress. Below is a pic from when I first pitched the must, you clearly see the difference.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home