Five Stand
Well, one of my other interests is in the shooting sports. I'm not real good but it is a fun thing to do. On Tuesday nights I shoot in a league for Five Stand. For those that don't know Five Stand is like sporting clays but you don't have to walk through the woods. There are eight trap boxes that launch a bird. One is a straight up teal, one comes from behind, one straight across, one rabbit about 15 yds in front of you, you get the idea. For whatever reason the one that comes straight across has been giving me problems as of late. I don't think I'm leading the bird anywhere near enough. The other one I can never hit is that blasted rabbit! Of course this "rabbit" goes 15ft in the air. Sort of a flying squirrel type thing then a rabbit. Its a fast, difficult shot. Every once in a while I hit it though and I did last night! yay! We had a bet going with the other's shooting on the rabbit. On the first round I had to pay out $2 (big money, no?) and I got handicapped a bird on the second round and made $2 so I was even on the night. I shoot a 15 year old Remington 870 Express. Its an ok gun that still works after 15 years of abuse so I can't knock it too much. But I have been shooting terrible with it lately. Last night I shot only an 8 with it (out of 25 possible). Then I borrowed my friends over/under and shot a 16. Quite an improvement! I guess I need to look into getting a new gun as I shot a 15 with that same shotgun a few weeks ago. Although the over/under is a little heavier, its shorter and I can swing it faster. It also fits me a lot better so I get a better sight picture down the barrel. Hopefully the poker hobby will help pay for the shooting hobby!
On the poker front I did another lesson last night. I didn't win this one but I think I played well considering I had to see every flop for the first 50 hands. I made it to around hand 40 when I busted. The hand that hurt me I got dealt ATh and limped in, according to the lesson. There were a few more limpers, then the SB came in for a pot size raise. According to the lesson I could proceed as I saw fit. Well the SB only raised big like that when he had a small/mid pair so even though I would normally fold this hand, I decided to play it. Just the two of us saw the flop of A3x. The SB checked to me and I bet out 1/2 pot, the SB calls. The turn was another rag, SB check, I bet 1/2 again, SB calls again (something smells fishy here doesn't it?). River brought another rag, SB checks again and I'm done putting anymore money in this hand as I figure he has hit or I have misread him and he has a better Ace. I don't want to get check raised here so I check as well. He turns over his pp3 for a flopped set and I muck. Normally it wouldn't have been an issue losing this hand but since I had to see every flop and the blinds were getting more expensive it wasn't a good hand to lose. A while later I bluffed at a 2k pot with my last 3k (blinds at 100/200 and about to increase) when it gets checked around to me on a 984 ragged flop. I had the powerhouse of T4 but noone was showing any interest in the pot. Well, I get called by ATo and bust. Not that my play was spectacular on this hand but why would you check/call with ATo when you have no part of the board? Funny thing about doing this assignment is that I am forced to play a lot of junk, but a lot of people play the same junk willingly. This lesson has definitly helped my post flop play though and its been fun thus far.
On the poker front I did another lesson last night. I didn't win this one but I think I played well considering I had to see every flop for the first 50 hands. I made it to around hand 40 when I busted. The hand that hurt me I got dealt ATh and limped in, according to the lesson. There were a few more limpers, then the SB came in for a pot size raise. According to the lesson I could proceed as I saw fit. Well the SB only raised big like that when he had a small/mid pair so even though I would normally fold this hand, I decided to play it. Just the two of us saw the flop of A3x. The SB checked to me and I bet out 1/2 pot, the SB calls. The turn was another rag, SB check, I bet 1/2 again, SB calls again (something smells fishy here doesn't it?). River brought another rag, SB checks again and I'm done putting anymore money in this hand as I figure he has hit or I have misread him and he has a better Ace. I don't want to get check raised here so I check as well. He turns over his pp3 for a flopped set and I muck. Normally it wouldn't have been an issue losing this hand but since I had to see every flop and the blinds were getting more expensive it wasn't a good hand to lose. A while later I bluffed at a 2k pot with my last 3k (blinds at 100/200 and about to increase) when it gets checked around to me on a 984 ragged flop. I had the powerhouse of T4 but noone was showing any interest in the pot. Well, I get called by ATo and bust. Not that my play was spectacular on this hand but why would you check/call with ATo when you have no part of the board? Funny thing about doing this assignment is that I am forced to play a lot of junk, but a lot of people play the same junk willingly. This lesson has definitly helped my post flop play though and its been fun thus far.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home